My Video!!

2012年1月10日 星期二

Three Things that I learned in English 2!!


SHOULD WE HAVE TWO SPACES OR ONLY ONE SPACE AFTER THE PERIOD?!?!
Last semester when I was in Mr. Bennett’s class, he said that we have to have two spaces after the period. When I went to Princeton Review in the last summer vacation, the teacher over there told me that we can only have one space after the period; Because he said that if you put two spaces after the period, it will kind of look like a tab, and of course, if you put a tab after the period, it’s actually not right. And I also believe that we only need one space after the period. (If we don’t have tab on our devices, pressing space five times will work too.)

OXFORD COMMA
I remember that we discussed “Oxford comma” in Mr. Webb’s class. Oxford Comma is the 2nd comma that is after the word “And” 
For example: I like to eat grape, beef jerky, and pancake. This sentence means
I like to eat
1.     1. Grape
2.     2. Beef jerky
3.     3. Pancake
But if we didn’t add the oxford comma into that sentence, it will become I like to eat
1.     1. Grape
2.     2. Beef jerky and pancake
That sentence will become I like to eat grape, and beef jerky with pancake; And seriously… that sounds disgusting.
So we need to use the punctuation marks properly, or else it

 will be very weird and funny.


Last thing that I learn is
When we need to write numbers into our paragraphs, how should we write it?
For example: how do we write 720? Should we write it in numeric form or in word form?
The correct answer is writing it in numeric form!
Any number that is more than or include three words NEED to write it in numeric form.

沒有留言:

張貼留言